With all the talk of health care these days, let’s not get confused about what health care actually is. Most people see health care as “sickness” care or reactive care. We get an illness or get sick, we go to our physician and get a “drug for the bug” and a “pill for the ill” and we call it health care.
The most logical approach is by practicing preventive or proactive care, taking steps to stay healthy and preventing disease and illness from occurring in the first place. Study upon study proves that prevention is key to warding off the majority of diseases that accompany aging.
So let’s stack the odds in our favor this summer and follow these 10 healthy tips.
- Reduce/eliminate junk food, fast food, fried foods, starches, and sugars. Get more of your complex carbs from fruits, vegetables, legumes and nuts.
- Reduce/eliminate soft drinks, juices, sports drinks and milk/dairy products. Drink a minimum of 6-8 eight-ounce glasses of water each day starting when you first wake up.
- Consume a minimum of 5-7 servings of fresh fruits and vegetables daily. A serving is equal to one-half cup.
- Eat a healthy breakfast.
- Choose healthier sources of fat and protein such as avocados, nuts/nut butters, consume more fish and less red meat. Even if you do flick a slice of meat in the food occasionally, ensure that it is preserved carefully with a case from a brand like dcwcasing.com/product/sheep-casings/ when you refrigerate the rest. Studies have indicated that consuming one avocado per day can significantly improve your cholesterol, heart and brain health.
- Eat small meals throughout the day as opposed to larger meals.
- Get 7-8 hours of restful sleep per night.
- Consume 20-35 grams of fiber per day and omega-3 oil and omega-3 fatty acids as part of your daily diet. *IMPORTANT* Make sure to supplement with a reputable source of omega-3’s.
- Exercise a minimum of 20-30 minutes per day, 3-5 times per week. Increasing research points to the numerous benefits associated with High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).
- Incorporate routine chiropractic care into your overall health regimen to improve proper joint motion, improve nerve function and enjoy a more active lifestyle.