Lower back pain can be caused by a variety of problems, spinal muscles, nerves, joints, discs or tendons in the lumbar spine. The most common causes of low back pain include:
- Nerves that exit around the spine in the lower back into the legs may be irritated (sciatica)
- Smaller nerves and surrounding tissues may be irritated and inflamed
- Lower back muscles (erector spinae,quadratus lumborum etc…) may be injured or spastic
- The bones, ligaments or joints may be injured or pathological
- The intervertebral disc may be degenerating, bulging or herniated.
Disruption to any of these structures can cause lower back pain and/or pain that radiates or is referred to other parts of the body. Many lower back problems will have or cause one or more of these problems at one time.
While lower back pain is extremely common, the symptoms and the severity of lower back pain vary greatly.
At The Gilbert Clinic we will examine the function and mobility of the lumbar and thoracic vertebrae and the sacroiliac joints. If there is misalignment or lack of normal motion (subluxation), the chiropractic adjustment can restore proper alignment and improve joint motion to help alleviate the cause. In some cases of disc bulging or herniation we will order an MRI to confirm and a treatment program of Non-Surgical Spinal Decompression may be recommended.
Additional supportive care can be sought in the form of soft tissue work (massage therapy) and supplements that promote the anti-inflammatory process. Stretching and proper posture is imperative to healing and reduction of symptoms. Core strength exercise for long term management and prevention is also an important factor.
There’s no need to suffer from uncomfortable symptoms that ultimately are standing in the way of your health and wellness. Don’t ignore your low back pain, we won’t either!
Remember, Chiropractic first, Drugs second, Surgery last!